Skinny fat people are both under-muscled (skinny) and have too much fat. The best way to fix this is by eating to support muscle growth and eating to reduce inflammation, to burn through fat.
Some foods help to build muscle, such as eating an animal’s muscle.
Some foods cause inflammation, like potato chips, and get stored preferentially as belly fat or stored at the neck to make a double chin.
So there is a way to “bulk” and gain muscle while also burning off the fat that is inflammatory.
Best Bulking Foods For Skinny-Fat People
- All types of meat
- Wild Salmon
- Chicken Wings
- Organ meats
- Bone broth, gelatin/collagen supplements
- 1.5oz shot of Extra Virgin Olive Oil (drink it like a shot, 360 calories)
- Legumes (beans, chickpeas, etc.)
- Potatoes (roasted is best to remove water which is filling)
- Mixed Nuts (make sure nuts aren’t inflammatory for you, pay attention to if you get itchy or get dandruff)
- High-energy fruit like bananas, avocados, mangoes, etc.
- Dried fruits like raisins, prunes, figs, mangoes, etc.
- Toasted coconut chips
- Dark chocolate (darker than 78% is ideal)
- Homemade JELLO—raw fruit juice and grass-fed beef gelatin
- Homemade cookies (oats, whole wheat flour, eggs, unrefined whole cane sugar or coconut sugar, etc.)
- Scottish Oat Cakes (Tallow/Oats)
- Raw unpasteurized juice (orange juice, apple juice, etc.)
Why no cheese/milk/yogurt/cereal?
In my experience, I found that cutting out pasteurized dairy helped to burn the lower fat on my belly and improve my cardiovascular numbers, leading to better sprinting, etc., which helps me to stay lean. Many of my clients, after working with me, have found the same.
(I think raw dairy is probably not inflammatory as it has its folate/glutathione/lactobacillus/etc., but it’s illegal where I live, so I can’t confirm.)
Avoid These Inflammatory Foods To Belly Burn Fat
- Vegetable Oils like soybean, corn, canola, etc.
- Boxed foods, restaurants, potato chips, deep-fried foods
- White Flour With Added Iron
- Burger buns
- cookies, etc.
- Pasteurized Dairy
- cheese, etc.
- Overdoing alcoholic drinks
- Anything with processed sugar in it
- soda pop
- sauces, etc.
Try your best to get wild seafood and pasture-raised grass-finished meat. Eat a lean and strong animal if you want to get lean and strong. Eat a fat and weak animal if you want to get fat and weak.
Similarly, organic plants are healthier and are more nutrient-dense while having less pesticides on them like glyphosate. This will reduce inflammation and also help the belly lean out while giving your body the nutrients it needs to build muscle.
If you’d like to learn more, see our programs here.